Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels

Channel Catalog

Channel Description:

News Top Stories

older | 1 | .... | 2614 | 2615 | (Page 2616) | 2617 | 2618 | .... | 2634 | newer

    0 0

    More than 87 percent of people 65 years or older want to stay in their current home as they age, according to a 2014 AARP survey. Among them: Dan Deninger and his wife, Cindy.

    The couple wants to avoid an assisted living or nursing facility, for the sake of comfort and cost. They’ve embraced a trend called aging in place. But the goal became difficult when Dan, 75, developed health issues, like loss of sight from macular degeneration.

    Making the Connection

    The disease complicated his already tenuous grasp of smartphones and computers, meaning added anxiety when he was alone in their Oceanside home. But he’s feeling more connected with Lisa, new software from Cuida Health that operates through existing smart speakers.

    With only their voice, users can email and text. The app serves up reminders on community happenings, medicine and nutrition. It’s also something of a companion, in that the app can hold short conversations.

    “This is nice because all I have to do is talk to it,” said Dan. “I’m able to easily contact grandchildren now.”

    He appreciates the app’s humorous barbs, and that it pauses while he collects his thoughts when dictating a message. Before Lisa, he felt isolated, limited to TV and a landline.

    The app put Cindy’s mind at ease when she traveled to Chicago.


    “It’s personalized for him,” she said. “It asks if he’s eaten something or taken medication, if he’s exercised.”

    The couple believe it will be a hit with a wider senior audience. They participated in a four-month pilot study of the platform and plan to keep using it.

    “We have a strong commitment to one another so we’ve decided we’re going to stay here as long as we can. And we’ll just watch out for each other,” Cindy said.

    Laurie Orlov, an analyst and founder of Florida-based Aging in Place Technology Watch, said Cuida is smart to piggyback on the success of smart speakers.

    “I’m not convinced we need more hardware,” she said, but added the voice-activated market is growing more competitive.

    Photo Credit: Cuida Health
    This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

    Dan Deninger and his wife, Cindy of Oceanside. They’ve embraced technology to help stay in their home as they age.Dan Deninger and his wife, Cindy of Oceanside. They’ve embraced technology to help stay in their home as they age.

    0 0

    Live Nation, the global live-entertainment behemoth, has officially unveiled its debut Live Nation Lawn Pass for music fans looking to score discounted access to the company's entire summer concert season.

    The exclusive passes, which go on sale Tuesday, Dec. 4 at 10 a.m. PST, will only be available through Dec. 18 (or while supplies last) and provide unlimited lawn admission to the 2019 summer concert season (even sold-out shows) at 29 participating Live Nation venues -- including North Island Credit Union Amphitheatre (formerly Mattress Firm Amphitheatre) in Chula Vista.

    The Live Nation Lawn Pass for the 20,000-plus-capacity venue is currently listed on at $299 (plus service fees), and ships on Feb. 1, 2019.

    At the time of this article's publication, two shows are currently listed for North Island Credit Union Amphitheatre in 2019: Goo Goo Dolls and Train on June 14, and Ozzy Osbourne on July 23. Many more are sure to follow.

    According to a Live Nation press release, upon purchasing a lawn pass, "each fan will receive a custom laminate with their name and a unique barcode that serves as their ticket on show day. Once fans scan in, they are all set to dance the night away on the lawn." Photo ID will also be required for entry to each show.

    The Live Nation Lawn Pass also comes with a few other perks: At every show, each pass-holder is entitled to one free venue lawn chair rental (based on availability), given Fast Lane Entry, and allowed to upgrade their ticket on show day (also based on availability) through the Live Nation app.

    There are also a few other details as well: Lawn passes expire at the end of the 2019 concert season and do not include access to special events, third-party rentals or festivals (only shows sold on are included).

    Visit the official Live Nation website for more information. 

    Live Nation Lawn Pass participating amphitheaters


    • Ak-Chin Pavilion (Phoenix, AZ)
    • BB&T Pavilion (Camden, NJ)
    • Blossom Music Center (Cuyahoga Falls, OH)
    • Cellairis Amphitheatre at Lakewood (Atlanta, GA)
    • Coastal Credit Union Music Park at Walnut Creek (Raleigh, NC)
    • Concord Pavilion (Concord, CA)
    • Coral Sky Amphitheatre (West Palm Beach, FL)
    • Darien Lake Amphitheater (Darien Center, NY)
    • Glen Helen Amphitheater (San Bernardino, CA)
    • Hollywood Casino Amphitheatre - Chicago (Tinley Park, IL)
    • Hollywood Casino Amphitheatre – St. Louis (St. Louis, MO)
    • Isleta Amphitheater (Albuquerque, NM)
    • Jiffy Lube Live (Bristow, VA)
    • KeyBank Pavilion (Burgettstown, PA)
    • MIDFLORIDA Credit Union Amphitheatre (Tampa, FL)
    • North Island Credit Union Amphitheatre (San Diego, CA)
    • PNC Bank Arts Center (Holmdel, NJ)
    • PNC Music Pavilion (Charlotte, NC)
    • Ruoff Home Mortgage Music Center (Noblesville, IN)
    • Saratoga Performing Arts Center (Saratoga Springs, NY)
    • Shoreline Amphitheatre (Mountain View, CA)
    • The Dos Equis Pavilion (Dallas, TX)
    • The Pavilion at Montage Mountain (Scranton, PA)
    • The Pavilion at Toyota Music Factory (Irving, TX)
    • The XFINITY Theatre (Hartford, CT)
    • Toyota Amphitheater (Wheatland, CA)
    • Veterans United Home Loans Amphitheater at Virginia Beach (Virginia Beach, VA)
    • White River Amphitheatre (Auburn, WA)
    • Xfinity Center (Mansfield, MA)
    [Ed. note: Live Nation is an NBC sponsor]

    Photo Credit: Alex Matthews

    The Live Nation Lawn Pass allows unlimited 2019 concert season entry at participating venues including North Island Credit Union Amphitheatre (Kesha and Macklemore shown performing here at the venue earlier this year).The Live Nation Lawn Pass allows unlimited 2019 concert season entry at participating venues including North Island Credit Union Amphitheatre (Kesha and Macklemore shown performing here at the venue earlier this year).

    0 0

    An office manager for a medical practice was convicted Thursday for a workers’ compensation kickback scheme that defrauded insurance companies of more than $22 million, the San Diego District Attorney’s Office announced Friday.

    Gonzalo Paredes, 62, was convicted of 51 felony counts of paying illegal kickbacks to San Diego chiropractor for patient referrals and fraudulently billing workers' compensation insurance companies in the California workers' compensation system.

    Paredes was the office manager for Advanced Radiology of Beverly Hills, owned by radiologist Dr. Ronald Grusd, who was convicted early this year on 39 counts of fraud for his role in the kickbacks scheme.

    Prosecutors said Parades helped to negotiate the kickback deals with the chiropractor for referrals to Advanced Radiology mobile unit in San Diego. The mobile office would then treat the patients and bill insurance companies for several million dollars. Parades also set up kickback payments to the chiropractor and those working for him.

    "When law enforcement became aware of the scam, we began following the trail of dirty money and it took us in many different directions," DA Summer Stephan said. "This criminal network bought and sold patients like cattle and they cashed in on the backs of people who trusted them with their health.”

    The scheme was exposed through a large-scale joint FBI, California Department of Insurance, U.S. Attorney’s Office and the D.A.’s Office.

    Paredes faces a maximum of 43 years and four months in state prison when he is sentenced on Feb. 1.

    Insurance fraud in California is a $15 billion-a-year problem, second only to tax evasion, according to the D.A.’s office.

    Photo Credit: Getty Images

    MIAMI - FEBRUARY 02: A judges gavel rests on top of a desk in the courtroom of the newly opened Black Police Precinct and Courthouse Museum February 3, 2009 in Miami, Florida. The museum is located in the only known structure in the nation that was designed, devoted to and operated as a separate station house and municipal court for African-Americans. In September 1944, the first black patrolmen were sworn in as emergency policemen to enforce the law in what was then called the MIAMI - FEBRUARY 02: A judges gavel rests on top of a desk in the courtroom of the newly opened Black Police Precinct and Courthouse Museum February 3, 2009 in Miami, Florida. The museum is located in the only known structure in the nation that was designed, devoted to and operated as a separate station house and municipal court for African-Americans. In September 1944, the first black patrolmen were sworn in as emergency policemen to enforce the law in what was then called the "Central Negro District." The precinct building opened in May 1950 to provide a station house for the black policemen and a courtroom for black judges in which to adjudicate black defendants. The building operated from 1950 until its closing in 1963. (Photo by Joe Raedle/Getty Images)

    0 0

    We’ve got a secret for you: there’s a new, opulent speakeasy on Convoy pouring unique cocktails. Eater San Diego shares details on that spot plus other top stories of the week from San Diego’s food and drink scene. Cheers!

    Immersive Cocktail Experience Coming to Convoy
    Realm of the 52 Senses opens on Dec. 5 in Kearny Mesa, a stunning speakeasy hidden inside Common Theory beer bar. Asian themes and ingredients influence the intimate space, where the cocktail list incorporates teas, Japanese citrus, and Chinese spirits. 

    SuperNatural Sandwiches Expands to Little Italy
    The popular sandwich shop, which has locations in Miramar and Pacific Beach, has launched on Kettner Boulevard. On the menu: signature seafood-stuffed sandwiches, including a lobster grilled cheese, plus a few new, exclusive items created just for the Little Italy location. 

    Playful Hotel Bar Debuts Downtown
    Bar Moxy is the centerpiece of the Gaslamp's new Moxy San Diego, a boutique hotel geared towards the Instagram crowd. The all-day bar features cocktails, food, and late-night service, with entertainment ranging from arcade games and swings to DJs.

    Where to Eat Poke in San Diego
    With the plethora of poke spots in town, it's tough to navigate which shops are serving quality seafood. Eater's here with a guide to 10 local poke joints that make an effort to source sustainably and offer tasty renditions of the classic Hawaiian dish.

    Fast-Casual Fried Chicken Flies Into Pacific Beach
    Country Boy Fried Chicken arrives on Garnet Avenue early next year with fried-to-order chicken tenders that will be available in combos alongside homemade Texas-style rolls, fries, and special sauce. The eatery will offer late-night service and plans to eventually expand throughout San Diego.

    Photo Credit: Haley Hill Photography
    This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

    A peek inside Realm of the 52 Senses, a swanky new speakeasy inside another business in Kearny Mesa.A peek inside Realm of the 52 Senses, a swanky new speakeasy inside another business in Kearny Mesa.

    0 0

    The Trump administration cannot withhold millions of dollars in public safety grants from "sanctuary" states, a federal judge in New York ruled Friday.

    The "court concludes that defendants did not have lawful authority to impose these conditions," Judge Edgardo Ramos wrote in his 43-page decision.

    The attorneys general of New York and six other states had filed suit against the Department of Justice earlier this year, charging the agency had improperly tacked on three immigration-related conditions they had to comply with in order to get grants for criminal justice initiatives.

    The judge ordered the DOJ to release more "than $29 million in grant funds that plaintiffs would otherwise use for law enforcement and public safety purposes."

    Photo Credit: Zach Gibson/Getty Images

    In this Nov. 7, 2018, file photo, the U.S. Department of Justice is pictured in Washington, DC.In this Nov. 7, 2018, file photo, the U.S. Department of Justice is pictured in Washington, DC.

    0 0

    Thousands of customers in downtown San Diego were without power Friday morning.

    The outage started around 11:15 a.m., affecting nearly 8,500 customers in Gaslamp Quater, East Village, Balboa Park and Golden Hills, according to San Diego Gas and Electric.

    San Diego City College canceled all of its classes Friday because of the outage, the school spokesman Jack Beresford told NBC 7.

    "College Police are walking classroom to classroom letting people know the campus is now closed," Beresford said. "The district is also alerting students via email and text."

    Power was restored to roughly 4,000 customers just before 12:30 p.m. The cause of the outage was still under investigation

    No other information was available.

    Please refresh this page for updates on this story. Details may change as more information becomes available.

    Photo Credit: NBC 7

    Gaslamp Quarter in San DiegoGaslamp Quarter in San Diego

    0 0

    Police are looking for a man who robbed a motel in La Mesa last month and they’re hoping some clear photographs of the suspect will lead investigators straight to him.

    The suspect is accused of robbing a Motel 6 located 7621 Alvarado Rd. at around 9 p.m. on Oct. 20.

    San Diego Crime Stoppers released pictures of the suspect for the first time Friday. The man is described as being between 18 and 25 years old, standing at 5-foot-7 and weighing approximately 175 pounds. He was last seen wearing a black Polo brand shirt with a large white logo and jeans.

    Crime Stoppers did not release details on how the robbery took place and what the man made off with.

    NBC 7 has reached out to the police department for further details.

    Anyone with information on the case can reach out to the La Mesa Police Department at (619) 667-1400 or Crime Stoppers at (888) 580-8477.

    Photo Credit: San Diego County Crime Stoppers

    The suspect is accused of robbing a Motel 6 on Alvarado Road in La Mesa on Oct. 20.The suspect is accused of robbing a Motel 6 on Alvarado Road in La Mesa on Oct. 20.

    0 0

    When San Diego police asked a South Bay school principal for help in arresting four teenage suspects, they quickly got the cooperation they wanted.

    But the willingness of Montgomery High School principal Tom Gray to schedule a campus-wide safety drill to provide cover for the arresting officers has sparked controversy.

    Memos written by Gray, obtained by the Voice of San Diego, reveal the principal was eager to help police arrest the students even though there was no indication those suspects posed a threat to other students, faculty or staff.

    “In working with San Diego police, we do not get to tell them how to do their work but we do help coordinate this work on campus,” Gray told faculty and staff.

    According to the Voice of San Diego, the suspects, who were arrested Oct. 31, had not committed any crimes on or near the campus.

    Parents and students have not been told anything about the arrests, even though students in at least one classroom did see the apprehensions. Gray has told faculty and staff not to answer any questions about what happened.

    “We are really not at liberty to share any information about a police matter,” the principal told his staff. “This was a police matter with these students, not a school matter.”

    But one parent told NBC 7 that the principal should not have complied so fully with the police department’s request.

    “It would be different if the (suspects) were over here, harassing kids at school, and hurting someone,” said Alicia Mesa, whose son is a senior at Montgomery High. “Then I would understand.”

    But Mesa said she sees no reason why police couldn’t arrest the suspects at their homes, or during regular school hours, without using the safety drill as a cover.

    “I would definitely prefer the cops to go to my house (to make an arrest),” Mesa said. “That way I know what's going on, and why they’re going to take my son."

    Attorney Jessica Heldman, a child rights expert at the University of San Diego’s School of Law, agreed.

    Heldman said if the suspects posed an immediate threat at the school, subterfuge might be appropriate to facilitate the arrests. But in this case, police and the principal waited two days to stage the safety drill, after agreeing to that strategy.

    Heldman told NBC 7 that the principal’s willingness to “...act as a law enforcement entity by collaborating and colluding (with police to stage the safety drill) as a pretext, concerns me.”

    Heldman also said the principal’s willingness to schedule the lockdown as requested by police could hurt the school’s credibility with students, who might next time assume there’s not a real threat if the school goes on an actual lockdown.

    “And so the students might not comply with the safety measures that are in place (for an actual threat) and that could create a really dangerous situation,” Heldman said.

    San Diego police would not answer any questions about the arrests, but a spokesman for the school district stressed that the safety drill was not a phony event, drummed up to help police make the arrests.

    Spokesman Manny Rubio said the drill was simply moved up by two weeks from its scheduled date. Rubio also noted that students, faculty and staff did actually participate in a safety drill when the arrests were made.

    “We thought this was the best way to ensure a safe campus,” Rubio told NBC 7. “Based on the severity of the (alleged) crimes (committed by the suspects), that cooperation (with police) was needed for the safety of our campus.”

    0 0

    The leasing rights for Liberty Station have been sold but a historic, onsite chapel – which has been the topic of controversy – will remain a place of worship that's also open to other events, a city spokesperson said.

    The Times of San Diego reported Wednesday that the leasing rights have been sold to a newly-formed company called Seligman Liberty Station LLC, based in Michigan. The City of San Diego owns Liberty Station and approved the sale of the leasing rights on Nov. 15.

    The Times caught wind of the leasing rights sale Wednesday after obtaining a notice sent out to Liberty Station tenants letting them know about the landlord change.

    In February, the then-owner of Liberty Station, Corky McMillin, said the North Chapel was highly underutilized. The company was exploring possibilities of converting the space into a commercial facility, possibly a restaurant.

    Many locals rallied against the idea, arguing that the community needs a place to worship – not another restaurant. Opponents also said the North Chapel – which was built in 1942 – is historic and an important part of Liberty Station.

    San Diego Mayor Kevin Faulconer’s office said Thursday that under new ownership the mayor’s “priority is to ensure that the historic North Chapel is preserved and maintained for future generations to enjoy.”

    The office said the chapel would continue to be used for worship and for “a variety of other purposes as allowed for under the ground lease.”

    “The new owner has found an experienced operator that will be seeking to book a wide range of events, including but not limited to religious gatherings and weddings, at the chapel once they take over in January. It will now be up to the operator to work out specific agreements for those interested in using the North Chapel for an event,” the rest of the statement read.

    The mayor’s office said Corky McMillin, under terms of a contract, was cleared to sell the leasing rights to Liberty Station any time after 2008.

    Photo Credit: NBC 7 San Diego

    The North Chapel at Liberty Station.The North Chapel at Liberty Station.

    0 0

    Customs and Border Protection is advising cross-border commuters of delays at the Otay Mesa Port of Entry Saturday due to an operational readiness exercise.

    The exercise is planned for 6 a.m. and will last approximately 10 minutes, the CBP said. The agency said the "large-scale" operation would result in minimal processing delays.

    "During the exercise, the traveling public should be aware of high visibility operations.

    CBP is continually assessing the capabilities of our facilities and has been making — and will continue to make — necessary preparations," the agency said.

    CBP scheduled a similar exercise last week at the San Ysidro Port of Entry. It, too, was expected to last about 10 minutes and lasted around 40.

    The agency said that exercise was designed to "evaluate readiness and assess the capabilities of CBP facilities to make sure necessary preparations."

    No other information was available.

    Please refresh this page for updates on this story. Details may change as more information becomes available.

    Photo Credit: CBP

    0 0

    "Leucadia Cyclery," on Vulcan Avenue in Encinitas, a popular hang out spot for many bicycle enthusiasts, will ride into the sunset next month.

    The family-owned business is set to shut down permanently on December 15, much to the dismay of the shop's loyal customers. 

    For many, cycling is a favorite hobby in North County. On the weekends, hundreds of cyclists can be seen rolling through Leucadia. 

    Fredric and Julia Breidenthal, the husband and wife duo that own the shop, are retiring from running it. Leucadia Cyclery has been opened since 1990. 

    "We've been doing this for 28 years. Me and my wife have been working hard at this," said Fredric Breidenthal. "We love our customers and our shop but it's very time-consuming."

    For nearly three decades, many of their customers have enjoyed stopping by the shop for tune ups and chats with the owners. 

    "Half of our customers think it’s awesome we’re retired, the other half are not real happy,” said Breidenthal laughing. “They like to come in and hang out and the fact that their hang out is disappearing is a shock for some of them.” 

    The Breidenthals put all four children through U.C. schools, and said now that they are empty-nesters, they want to travel the world. 

    "We'll spend some time in England," said Breidenthal. "My wife is from there and we have a house there." 

    After they close on December 15, they will open sporadically on a part-time basis for an indefinite amount of time. The pair are currently looking for buyers to take over the shop. 

    0 0

    You don’t have to wait long to witness a miracle at the Challenge Center in La Mesa, just ask Breezy Perkins.

    Perkins, 26, has cerebral palsy. She makes a six-hour round-trip bus commute five days a week for physical therapy appointments at the center where specialized training and equipment help her regain her mobility.

    When Perkins is not intensely training, she's watching, expecting to witness a life-changing breakthrough along another patient’s journey.

    “Throughout my life, you hear a lot of ‘You can't do that and you'll never be able to do that.’ And coming here, they don't say that,” Perkins said.

    The non-profit is changing lives one step at a time by helping people like Perkins regain their mobility and independence at a cost they can afford.

    “Challenge Center is unique,” Executive Director Tiffany Piquilloud said. “There's not another one that we know of like it in the country.”

    Piquilloud, who also works as a senior physical therapist, said stories like Perkins’ are familiar.

    “People come in and they've been told ‘Sorry, there's nothing more we could do for you.’ Insurance coverage has ended, and it’s just, you know, get used to this wheelchair or get used to this walker or whatever,’” she said.

    What makes the Challenge Center different are its personalized therapy regimens and specialized equipment that allow, not without persistence, patients to achieve things they previously thought were impossible.

    And as their bodies strengthen, their spirits transform, too.

    “When you don't give up on people and you just keep persisting and you have the skillful staff we have, miracles happen. It takes a minute but they do happen,” Piquilloud said.

    Perkins said there’s “no room for quitters,” at the Challenge Center.

    “Even if I'm having a bad day where I don't want to do it, they don't let me quit,” she said. “They say ‘You have to be here and you have to do this and they bring you through it."

    The encouragement and persistence of the nine-person staff is paying off. As they challenge their patients’ physical and mental limits, extraordinary breakthroughs occur.

    Three years ago, it had been a decade since Perkins last walked. But she’s walking now and even learning to drive.

    “It's not just changed my life, it's literally saved my life. I mean, that sounds cliché, but it really has,” Perkins said. “I was very depressed when I came here. I didn't know what I was going to do with my life. But I'm not anymore.”

    Perkins now works at the center and her success story is on display for all of the patients to see. She's in school, too, studying to become a special education teacher.

    The day NBC 7 visited the Challenge Center, a woman who was told she’d never walk again took her first steps in five years. The miraculous moment triggered applause and tears from those who were there.

    These are the kinds of miracles that people who work and train at the Challenge Center in La Mesa say happen daily.

    Piquilloud said they rely on grants, donors and fundraisers to keep serving clients. She said it’s been life-changing for her to see people regain their independence and find a new sense of purpose and hope.

    The center serves people of all ages. Right now it’s helping patients from 2 to 102 years old.

    0 0

    Police and SWAT officers were involved in a standoff at a bank in Mission Valley after shots were fired by a robbery suspect.

    A robbery was reported at a US Bank branch at 1455 Frazee road, north of Friars Road and east of State Route 163, at around 5 p.m., according to the San Diego Police Department.

    SDPD said the suspect fired about eight shots at officers. No one was injured.

    Investigators said three bank employees were forced to hide in the bathroom during the incident.

    The suspect fled the bank and is still on the loose, SDPD said.

    Investigators are interviewing employees and witnesses trying to gather more information about the suspect.

    "I saw the police officers and they told me... to 'run now,' and I came to him and said 'What's going on?' and he said there was an active shooter in the bank."

    No other information was available.

    The incident caused significant traffic delays for drivers in the area. Check out NBC 7's live traffic map for updates.

    Please refresh this page for updates on this story. Details may change as more information becomes available.

    Photo Credit: NBC 7

    0 0

    Dozens of homes were broken into Friday in the North County, but it wasn’t for any nefarious reasons.

    It’s the annual "Breaking and Entering" event at Solutions for Change where strangers “break in" to apartments of families who were once homeless to make sure they have a merry Christmas.

    “It’s really about families helping families,” Solutions for Change president Chris Megison said. “There’s no better feeling in the world than to be a part of this.”

    The agency has been helping nearly 1,000 families — more than 3,400 children — homeless families get back on their feet for almost 20 years, he said.

    On Friday, Jill Alcorn and Jennifer Sutton broke into Angye Guille’s apartment in Vista to spread a little holiday joy. They decorated the apartment, put up a tree and some presents underneath.

    “It feels amazing, yeah, absolutely, it feels amazing,” Alcorn said.

    Guille was speechless when she saw all the holiday decorations.

    “I think this is … I’m blessed. Super blessed. Beyond blessed,” she said. “Thank you guys, whoever did this. Thank you so much. A big surprise.”

    Guille and her three daughters were homeless for more than a year. This was the first Christmas in her home since she was a child. Now she can make new Christmas memories with her girls, thanks to someone she doesn’t even know.

    Solutions for Change hopes to break into more apartments in the next few years. The city of Vista gave the agency more than $2 million to expand, which means there will be more holiday meals, presents and more cheer for families who otherwise wouldn’t have it.

    Photo Credit: NBC 7

    0 0

    It's true that a small act of kindness can go a long way.

    Gail Cook, a resident of Ferndale, Maryland, said one such act brightened her day when she came home on Wednesday.

    She discovered strong winds had brought down her family's flagpole.

    But when she reached her doorstep, she saw that someone had neatly folded their American flag and placed it in a box that sits on their front porch.

    When she pulled up the video from her Nest camera to see who she could thank, she saw her FedEx delivery driver Mike King.

    But the Cooks didn't have any packages delivered that day. King had gone out of his way to fold the flag.

    "I was like, 'Oh my gosh, I have to share this so people know what he's done,'" Cook said.

    She posted the video on Facebook and also reached out to King to thank him.

    "It's the Marine way," King said in the comments on her post. "I couldn't just drive by and do nothing."

    The post has garnered dozens of shares and positive comments from the Ferndale community.

    "How extremely thoughtful!" said one commenter.

    "Awesome act of patriotism," commented another.

    Cook said King has delivered packages to their home for several years.

    She said she and her husband got their Nest camera a few years ago as a way to keep tabs on the neighborhood and make sure their two children are safe.

    She said she never expected such a nice moment to come from having the camera.

    "We're just very grateful to him for stopping and, you know, taking the time out of his day because I'm sure this is a busy week for him," Cook said. "You know, Cyber Monday - I'm sure he had a ton of packages to deliver and he took the time to fold the flag and fold our other flag ... he even came back to make sure he put them in a safer place so the wind didn't continue to blow them that day."

    Cook said she reached out to FedEx and hopes they recognize King for his good deed.

    News4 has reached out to King for comment, but has not yet heard back.

    Photo Credit: Courtesy of Gail Cook
    This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

    A FedEx driver went out of his way to fold a family's American flag that fell on the ground in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, on Nov. 28, 2018.A FedEx driver went out of his way to fold a family's American flag that fell on the ground in Anne Arundel County, Maryland, on Nov. 28, 2018.

    0 0

    Federal agents with Immigration and Customs Enforcement since April have conducted at least three   major  raids across New Jersey, arresting nearly 190 people suspected of being undocumented immigrants.

    That followed a 12-month period during which ICE's Newark, New Jersey, field office increased its arrest rate 42 percent during fiscal year 2017, according to an analysis by the Pew Research Center.

    Now, a day after New Jersey's attorney general announced new rules restricting local law enforcement officers' interaction with immigration agents, ICE is threatening even more raids.

    A spokesman for the Newark office said in a statement Friday to NBC Philadelphia that New Jersey should expect increased arrests because of the new rules.

    "The probability is that at large arrests and worksite enforcement operations, which already exist, will likely increase due to the fact that ICE ERO will no longer have the cooperation of the jails related to immigration enforcement," ICE spokesman Emilio Dabul said in an email.

    He added that since the agency's "highest priority is public safety and enforcing immigration laws, we must pursue that to the best extent possible, which will likely involve more at large arrests and worksite enforcement operations."

    The threat is apparently in response to state Attorney General Gurbir S. Grewal's "Immigrant Trust Directive" announced Thursday. It limits the type of voluntary assistance that law enforcement agencies provide to immigration authorities, including Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

    The new rules are meant to strengthen the trust between local law enforcement and immigrants in the state, Grewal said.

    New Jersey has one of the highest undocumented immigrant populations in the nation, with an estimated 500,000 people living without legal citizenship as of 2014, according to the Pew Research Center.

    The new rules, the attorney general said, will encourage immigrants to come forward when crimes are committed.

    "With this directive, we hope to draw immigrants out of the shadows and into our communities. We hope to create an environment where residents feel safe around our officers, whether they're reporting a crime or simply striking up a conversation," he said.

    An Immigration and Customs Enforcement official initially criticized the new directive.

    "The New Jersey Attorney General's decision to further limit law enforcement's ability to cooperate with ICE undermines public safety and hinders ICE from performing its federally-mandated mission," ICE Deputy Director Matthew Albence said in a statement.

    "Ultimately, this directive shields certain criminal aliens, creating a state-sanctioned haven for those seeking to evade federal authorities, all at the expense of the safety and security of the very people the NJ Attorney General is charged with protecting," Albence added.

    Though Grewal emphasized that the new policies will not make New Jersey a so-called sanctuary state for undocumented individuals who commit crimes, the change does mimic actions by other cities and states that have moved to limit cooperation with federal immigration enforcement agents since President Donald Trump took office.

    Police departments and corrections officers will not be allowed to hold those arrested for minor offenses past their original release dates, even if ICE submits an immigration detainer request.

    Agencies will still be allowed to notify ICE of inmates' pending release if they have committed a serious crime like murder, rape, arson, assault or domestic violence, but officers will only be allowed to keep those inmates in custody until 11:59 p.m. the day of their scheduled release.

    Unless granted permission by the state attorney general, however, law enforcement agencies are also prevented from entering into or renewing Section 287(g) agreements with federal authorities, which allow state local agencies to enforce federal civil immigration laws.

    Officers also cannot stop, question, arrest, search, or detain a person simply because they believe that person may be undocumented.

    Officers are also barred from asking people about their immigration status unless doing so is necessary while investigating a serious crime.

    The directive goes into effect March 15, 2019.

    Photo Credit: John Moore/Getty Images

    ICE agents detain a suspected MS-13 gang member and Honduran immigrant at his home on March 29, 2018 in Brentwood, New York.ICE agents detain a suspected MS-13 gang member and Honduran immigrant at his home on March 29, 2018 in Brentwood, New York.

    0 0

    A Solana Beach man is breathing a sigh of relief after finding his sister who he thought may have died in the Camp Fire in Butte County.

    Up until this week, Bill Engfelt’s sister Mirella Harrison was on the Camp Fire missing persons list. He had made flyers and was planning to go to the Paradise area to search for his 56-year old sister.

    Harrison said she had to drive through flames to escape the fire. It didn’t take her, but it did take her home.

    In the chaos and aftermath of the tragedy, she never called her brother to let him know she wasn’t injured or killed.

    “Of course I called my sister. 'Why didn't you call me?' She said she has PTSD from this, she had to drive through the flames, she was really upset, she just didn't think about it,” Engfelt said.

    It turns out, Harrison’s home was for sale at the time, and Engfelt found her through her realtor. Bill says he was upset, but relieved to learn his sister is OK.

    Right now, she's living in a hotel as she deals with insurance and tries to rebuild her life.

    0 0

    George Herbert Walker Bush, who as the 41st president guided the United States out of the Cold War and led an international coalition into the Gulf War, has died. He was 94. 

    Bush passed at 10:10 p.m. Friday, according to a statement from family spokesman Jim McGrath.

    "Jeb, Neil, Marvin, Doro, and I are saddened to announce that after 94 remarkable years, our dear Dad has died," said former President George W. Bush in a statement. "George H. W. Bush was a man of the highest character and the best dad a son or daughter could ask for. The entire Bush family is deeply grateful for 41’s life and love, for the compassion of those who have cared and prayed for Dad, and for the condolences of our friends and fellow citizens."

    He was quickly remembered as a humble patriot, dedicated public servant and beloved family man by President Donald Trump, former President Barack Obama and others.

    "Through his essential authenticity, disarming wit, and unwavering commitment to faith, family, and country, President Bush inspired generations of his fellow Americans to public service—to be, in his words, 'a thousand points of light' illuminating the greatness, hope, and opportunity of America to the world," Trump and first lady Melania Trump said in a statement."

    Bush was a World War II naval pilot who survived being shot down over the Pacific, led the CIA and spent eight years as vice president before taking the Oval Office. He was the father of the 43rd president, George W. Bush.

    His wife of 73 years, Barbara Bush, who used her time as first lady to advocate for literacy, died on April 17. 

    George H.W. Bush became the first former U.S. president to turn 94 on June 12. The nation's 41st president was receiving calls and taking it easy at his seaside home in Maine eight days after being released from a hospital where he was treated for low blood pressure, said Chief of Staff Jean Becker.

    Bush's office shared a letter from the president in which he said, "My heart is full on the first day of my 95th year."

    "As many of you know, for years I have said the three most important things in life are faith, family and friends. My faith has never been stronger," the former president wrote in the letter.

    Several of his children were in town, including former President George W. Bush, who posted a smiling photo of the two of them on Instagram.

    "I'm a lucky man to be named for George Bush and to be with `41' on his 94th birthday," wrote Bush, the nation's 43rd president.

    Another son, Neil Bush, called on people in a newspaper opinion piece to volunteer and "to become a point of light."

    Bush, a Republican who served as President Ronald Reagan's vice president for two terms, was elected to the country's highest office in 1988. He beat Democrat Michael Dukakis in an electoral landslide and with 54 percent of the popular vote.

    In his inaugural presidential address, Bush spoke of "a thousand points of light" across the country, community organizations that were doing good and with which he promised to work. He pledged in "a moment rich with promise" to use American strength as "a force for good." 

    A member of a longtime politically influential American family, Bush led the United States during a time of intense international change, including the fall of Communism in the former Soviet Union and Eastern Europe, and turmoil in the Middle East. His public approval rating soared to 89 percent after he presided over a U.S.-led coalition of 32 countries that drove Saddam Hussein's Iraqi army from Kuwait in 1991. After signing a strategic arms reduction agreement to reduce nuclear weapons with the Soviet Union's Mikhail Gorbachev, Bush accomplished a second agreement in early January 1993 with Russian President Boris Yeltsin after the USSR collapsed. 

    "Even as president, with the most fascinating possible vantage point, there were times when I was so busy managing progress and helping to lead change that I didn't always show the joy that was in my heart," Bush said in his final State of the Union address. "But the biggest thing that has happened in the world in my life, in our lives, is this: By the grace of God, America won the Cold War." 

    Despite his strength in foreign policy, Bush was ultimately limited to a single term as president over a sputtering U.S. economy. The unemployment rate, at 5.3 percent during his first year in office, rose to 7.4 percent in 1992. Confronted with rising deficits, Bush famously signed a bill that raised taxes despite the Republican's earlier campaign vow: "Read my lips: no new taxes." His public approval, once sky high, plummeted in his final year in office to below 50 percent. 

    While he lost re-election to Bill Clinton in 1992, his work laid a foundation for his son George W. Bush to win the White House in 2000.

    "Two presidents in one family, that's pretty good," George H.W. Bush told his granddaughter Jenna Bush Hager for a "Today" interview on his 88th birthday. 

    Another son, former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush, lost a bid for the Republican nomination in 2016 to Trump. Bush even saw his grandson, George P. Bush, enter politics. The Fort Worth resident won the position of Texas land commissioner in March 2014. 

    Bush was born June 12, 1924, in Milton, Massachusetts, the youngest of five children. He was raised in Connecticut by his mother Dorothy Walker Bush, and his father, Prescott Bush, who served as a U.S. senator. 

    [[470328463, C]]

    After the attack on Pearl Harbor, Bush enlisted in the military on his 18th birthday and became the Navy's youngest pilot at the time. He flew 58 combat missions in World War II before being shot down by the Japanese in 1944. Bush was rescued by a submarine and awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for bravery in action. 

    Back home, Bush married Barbara Pierce on Jan. 6, 1945, and the couple went on to have six children; George, Pauline (who was known as Robin and who died as a child of leukemia), John (known as Jeb), Neil, Marvin and Dorothy. 

    Bush was accepted to Yale University before enlistment, and once stateside, enrolled in an accelerated program that allowed him to graduate in two and a half years instead of four. While at Yale, the left-handed first baseman played in the first College World Series. 

    In 1948, Bush graduated from the university with a bachelor of arts degree in economics. He moved the family to west Texas and achieved success in the oil industry, but like his father, he was drawn to politics. 

    After an unsuccessful bid for the U.S. Senate in 1964, Bush won a House seat in 1966 representing Houston. He was re-elected in 1968 but gave up his seat two years later to run for the Senate again, and lost to Democrat Lloyd Bentsen.

    Bush was appointed to a string of government positions in the 1970s, including: United Nations ambassador, Republican National Committee chairman, envoy to China, and CIA director. At the CIA he was credited with boosting morale. 

    In 1980, Bush made a run for the White House, but the Republican Party nominated Reagan, who selected Bush as his running mate. The match was a good one. The pair went to Washington in 1981 and won a landslide re-election victory four years later.

    As vice-president, Bush traveled the world, pushing his anti-drug programs and became the first vice president to stand in as president while Reagan underwent surgery in 1985. Bush spent most of the eight hours on the tennis court. 

    Then, after eight years of loyalty, Bush tried again for the Oval Office. 

    Bush chose Indiana Sen. Dan Quayle as his running mate. At the Republican National Convention in New Orleans, Bush made the "no new taxes" pledge that would spark a backlash among some Republicans when he later reversed course.

    In 1988, Bush defeated Michael Dukakis and his running mate, Texas nemesis Lloyd Bentsen. He was sworn in as president on Jan. 20, 1989. 

    Bush’s high popularity in the wake of a decision to send American troops into Panama to bring General Manuel Noriega to face drug charges in the U.S, and later the Persian Gulf War, would prove ephemeral. 

    Bush described his defeat in his re-election bid as having given him a "terrible feeling, awful feeling."

    "I really wanted to win and worked hard. And later on people said, 'well he didn’t really care', which is crazy," he told his granddaughter Jenna Bush Hager on "Today." "I worked my heart out and it was terrible to adjust. Well then you figure life goes on." 

    After leaving office, Bush returned to private life by splitting his time between Kennebunkport, Maine, and Houston. It was not uncommon to see Bush 41 at a Houston Astros baseball game.

    In 2005, he teamed up with his former rival, Bill Clinton, to raise money for relief efforts after Hurricane Katrina and the Asian tsunami.

    [[238427591, C]]

    His son George W. Bush published "41: A Portrait of My Father," in 2014, a wide-ranging and intimate biography of his father. In an interview on "Today" with his son and his granddaughter Bush Hager, the elder Bush talked about the intersection of family memories and key political events in their lives. 

    Asked about his presidential legacy, Bush said that he'd banned use of "the legacy word." 

    "I think history will get it right, and point out the things I did wrong, and perhaps some of the things we did right," he said. 

    In recent years, Bush was hospitalized because of various ailments. He broke a bone in his neck when he fell in his home in Kennebunkport, Maine, and suffered from shortness of breath and a bronchitis-related cough and other issues in Houston.

    Bush also made headlines in recent years for skydiving on at least three of his birthdays, according to The Associated Press, the last on his 90th, when he made a tandem parachute jump in Kennebunkport, Maine. In the summer of 2016, Bush led a group of 40 wounded warriors on a fishing trip at the helm of his speedboat, three days after his 92nd birthday celebration.

    And he made headlines in July 2013 when he shaved his head in support of a little boy — the son of a member of his Secret Service detail — battling leukemia. Later that summer, he was honored at a White House event celebrating volunteerism. 

    Bush put his presidential library at Texas A&M University in College Station and his name now is on the CIA headquarters, Houston's largest airport and a North Texas tollroad.

    There is also an aircraft carrier that bears his name. In 2009, Bush 41 and Bush 43 attended the commissioning of the USS George H.W. Bush, the 10th and last Nimitz-class nuclear-powered aircraft carrier in the U.S. Navy. 

    Bush had the distinction of being one of only three U.S. presidents to receive an honorary knighthood from Queen Elizabeth II. He was awarded the Medal of Freedom, the highest civilian honor, by President Barack Obama in 2011. 

    Bush is survived by his five children, 14 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren.

    He told Bush Hager that he was happiest while spending time with his family at sea. 

    "Aging is all right," he said in June 2012. "It's better than the alternative, which is not being here."

    Bush is survived by his five children and their spouses, 17 grandchildren, eight great grandchildren, and two siblings. He was preceded in death by his wife of 73 years, Barbara; his second child Pauline Robinson “Robin” Bush; and his brothers Prescott and William or “Bucky” Bush.

    No word yet on funeral arrangements.

    Photo Credit: AP, File

    Former President George H. W. Bush appears on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, D.C. in this Sunday, May 11, 2008 file photo.Former President George H. W. Bush appears on the South Lawn of the White House in Washington, D.C. in this Sunday, May 11, 2008 file photo.

    0 0

    After former President George H.W. Bush died Friday night, he was remembered as a humble patriot and man of character by other presidents, including his son, and others in the political world. 

    "George H. W. Bush was a man of the highest character and the best dad a son or daughter could ask for," said former President George W. Bush, who served in the Oval Office eight years after his father, in a statement. "The entire Bush family is deeply grateful for 41’s life and love, for the compassion of those who have cared and prayed for Dad, and for the condolences of our friends and fellow citizens." 

    President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump said they join the nation in mourning Trump's inspiring and faithful predecessor, according to a statement released early in the morning in Argentina, where they are attending the G-20 summit. 

    "President Bush guided our Nation, and the world, to a peaceful and victorious conclusion of the Cold War," they said. "As President, he set the stage for the decades of prosperity that have followed. And through all that he accomplished, he remained humble, following the quiet call to service that gave him a clear sense of direction."

    Former President Barack Obama had visited with Bush in Houston earlier in the week, and he and Michelle Obama called Bush a "patriot and humble servant" of his country with "a legacy of service that may never be matched" in a statement released shortly after his death.

    "George H.W. Bush’s life is a testament to the notion that public service is a noble, joyous calling. And he did tremendous good along the journey," they said, citing his role in bringing the Cold War to an end, saving Kuwait from Saddam Hussein and legislative achievements. 

    Former President Bill Clinton also paid tribute to Bush with a statement made with his wife Hillary, saying "he never stopped serving." 

    "Few Americans have been—or will ever be—able to match President Bush’s record of service to the United States and the joy he took every day from it; from his military service in World War II, to his work in Congress, the United Nations, China, the Central Intelligence Agency, the Vice Presidency and the Presidency, where he worked to move the post Cold War world toward greater unity, peace, and freedom."

    Many others, from former Vice President Dan Quayle to senators and beyond, joined in remembering Bush. 

    Photo Credit: Arnie Sachs/CNP/Getty Images
    This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

    President George H.W. Bush sits behind his desk in the White House's Oval Office, on Dec. 25, 1991, after announcing the resignation of Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev.President George H.W. Bush sits behind his desk in the White House's Oval Office, on Dec. 25, 1991, after announcing the resignation of Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev.

    0 0

    Leaders among the migrant caravan in Tijuana, Mexico are distributing flyers in an attempt to organize a march to the border Saturday morning, according to the city's mayor.

    Mayor Juan Manuel Gastélum said he has asked Mexican federal police and Mexican immigration authorities to do whatever is necessary to stop the group from forcing Customs and Border Protection to shut down the San Ysidro Port of Entry.

    Citing an economic study, Mayor Gastélum said a Sunday incident that forced an hours-long closure of the port, one of the world's busiest land border crossings, cost his city 129 million pesos, or roughly $6.3 million, in revenue.

    According to Jason Wells, executive director of the San Ysidro, California Chamber of Commerce, there was an estimated one-day loss of $5.3 million for the more than 700 businesses that are members of the chamber.

    In that incident, a large group entered a fenced area that separates the U.S. and Mexico after pushing past a blockade of Mexican police. CBP officers fired tear gas at the crowd of men, women and children. The agency reported that some officers were hit by rocks thrown over the fence.

    The clash led CBP to shut down both vehicle and pedestrian traffic at the port.

    “Bad people, not the good people, some of them, not all of them, came in and [participated in this], walking disorderly, trying to cross the border without [the United States’] permission. I mean, that’s a criminal way of doing things,” Mayor Gastélum said.

    A Department of Homeland Security source told NBC 7 the department, as well as the CBP and other allied agencies, are aware of Saturday's planned march and are discussing preparations.

    Friday afternoon, the CBP said it would briefly shut down the Otay Mesa West Port of Entry for an "operational readiness drill." The exercise is planned for 6 a.m. and will last approximately 10 minutes, the CBP said.

    A similar exercise was he held at the San Ysidro POE on Thanksgiving. It lasted around 40 minutes.

    The agency said that exercise was designed to "evaluate readiness and assess the capabilities of CBP facilities to make sure necessary preparations."

    No other information was available.

    Please refresh this page for updates on this story. Details may change as more information becomes available.

    Photo Credit: EFE

older | 1 | .... | 2614 | 2615 | (Page 2616) | 2617 | 2618 | .... | 2634 | newer