Are you the publisher? Claim or contact us about this channel

Embed this content in your HTML


Report adult content:

click to rate:

Account: (login)

More Channels

Channel Catalog

Channel Description:

News Top Stories

older | 1 | .... | 2605 | 2606 | (Page 2607) | 2608 | 2609 | .... | 2634 | newer

    0 0

    There are apps for virtually everything now, from shopping to financial investments to avoiding traffic jams. Another industry is turning to apps; the medical industry.

    One San Diego medical clinic has added its name to the list of Telehealth providers. The Perlman Clinic based out of La Jolla has launched a new app called PocketDoc that allows patients to make virtual doctor visits simply by logging on to the app.

    “It’s for the person that can’t leave work or are just not feeling up to leaving the house,” said PocketDoc founder Dr. Monica Perlman. “They may be traveling and need to connect with a medical provider.”

    Perlman and the Perlman Clinic, which has several locations throughout San Diego County, launched the app on October 23.

    The app, she said, offers not only convenience but provides affordable options for the uninsured as well as the insured.

    “You don’t need insurance, all you need is $30 and the app in order for you to connect,” said Perlman. “Whether you have an upper respiratory infection, a rash, or a urinary tract infection, our doctors can treat any common medical issue on the app. We also send orders to the lab so patients can drop off samples without having to head into a doctor’s office beforehand.”

    Perlman said anyone with a phone and the app can call, that you do not have to be a patient in order to see a doctor and thus far about 75 percent of the calls have been treated without the need for an office visit.

    According to an article in Consumer Reports, Telehealth is a growing industry. Recent studies show that similar medical apps can save time and energy for those with common ailments. However, the convenience can come at some cost. While seeing a doctor through the PocketDoc app costs only $30 dollars, studies show the convenience can come at a cost in that more people may turn to the app for minor medical issues ones that usually would not warrant an office visit.

    “I think this is just going to explode, especially with the senior population,” said Perlman. “We’ve had success treating both existing and new patients through PocketDoc. Most of the patients have been located in San Diego, but we are starting to see some visits from patients throughout California.”

    Photo Credit: Bob Hansen

    0 0

    San Diego police are searching for a Mesa College student who hasn't been seen in more than a week.

    SDPD says Elizamarie Penones was last seen leaving the college in Clairemont on Nov. 13.

    Penones is described as 5 feet 2 inches tall and 150 pounds. According to police, she lives in the Linda Vista neighborhood and travels by bus.

    Anyone with information is asked to call SDPD at (619) 531-2000.

    No other information was available.

    Please refresh this page for updates on this story. Details may change as more information becomes available.

    0 0

    A fire at an apartment complex in Imperial Beach early Wednesday left dozens of residents without a place to stay just one day before Thanksgiving.

    Luz Tabiolo was one of about 40 residents displaced by the fire at an apartment complex on Iris Avenue, in a neighborhood off of Imperial Avenue.

    She awoke to the smell of smoke but thought she was dreaming, she told NBC 7. She was quickly awoken to reality when she spotted flames. 

    "I grabbed my kids and my father-in-law and yell, 'Everybody, get out! Get out,'" Tabiolo said. "Right now, I’m still shaking."

    When firefighters arrived at about 4 a.m., flames were pouring from the windows. 

    Deputies were already there and had attempted to put the fire out with an extinguisher but the flames were too fierce, according to San Diego County Sheriff's Department Sgt. Felix Santiesteban. 

    The fire was quickly raised to a second alarm and there were concerns the blaze could spread to a nearby Naval outpost but crews were able to contain it to the complex. The fire was knocked down in 30 minutes. 

    Deputies helped evacuated dozens of people from the home. In the process, one was burned on his arms but was treated at the scene and released, officials said.

    The deputy told NBC 7 a melted curtain fell on him but said he was just doing his job. 

    There were no other injuries. 

    At least half of the eight-unit complex was destroyed, Santiesteban said. The four units that remained were likely damaged as well. 

    Red Cross was called to assist residents who would not be able to return home for the Thanksgiving holiday. 

    "We went to Costco yesterday to buy ham and turkey, everything for tomorrow," Tabiolo said. "Well, it’s OK as long as we’re OK. That’s the main thing."

    "All my turkey is on the outside. It's already cooked," she joked. 

    Investigators with the SDSO's bomb-arson unit were working to determine what caused the blaze but preliminary reports indicated a propane tank may be to blame. 

    No other information was available.

    Please refresh this page for updates on this story. Details may change as more information becomes available.

    0 0

    Delicious dishes are plentiful during the holidays but while they may delight humans, they can make pets sick. 

    The Chula Vista Animal Care Facility shared some important tips with NBC 7 about common holiday foods that pose a hazard for animals. 

    Dangerous Dishes

    One of the most common side dishes this Thanksgiving will be stuffing but it's main ingredient is not safe for pets, according to Linda Septon, the Chula Vista shelter's adoption counselor and rescue coordinator.

    "Croutons are bread. Yeast can react with sugars and actually cause bloat, and if they don't have immediate emergency surgery, they will die," she warned. 

    Similarly, mashed potatoes may be a favorite for humans but owners should keep it out of their pets' mouths. 

    "Potatoes are high in fat just like turkey skins and those things can cause Pancreatitis in animals, which is life-threatening," said Tianna Torres, Chula Vista Animal Shelter animal care specialist. 

    They can also contain onions and garlic which are not good for pets. 

    It's not always the food itself, but the salt, sugar and spices added during preparation that can cause diarrhea and vomiting.

    Alcoholic drinks, nuts, chocolate and the shiny foil they're often wrapped in are toxic to pets.

    "(Candy) wrappers, if ingested... gets stuck in the intestinal track and the animal cannot use the bathroom," she warned. 

    Some foods should be kept away from pets altogether.

    "Raisins and grapes can cause kidney failure in dogs," warned Septon. "When you're cooking and you're using raisins in your stuffing, make sure you're not giving your pets any leftovers, make sure you don't drop them on the ground."

    A Simple Fix

    Animal care workers said the one Thanksgiving staple that can work wonders all year long is 100 percent pumpkin puree.

    "This is what every pet owner, especially dog owner, should have in their cabinet," said Septon. "If you have a dog that has diarrhea or constipation, give them a little scoop of pumpkin puree and a lot of times, it helps clear it up."

    Stressed Pets

    Animals can also get stressed during the holidays, so it's important for them to have their own quiet place where they feel safe.

    Something else that can soothe pets -- restraining jackets. The fabric constricts their bodies like swaddling a baby, which allows pets to feel more at ease. Less stress also means a happier holiday for everyone.

    If you think your pet ate something potentially poisonous, contact your veterinarian immediately and call the ASPCA animal poison control center at 888-426-4435.

    0 0

    Wearing a white mask and moving swiftly, a woman robbed a San Diego gas station at gunpoint – in less than 20 seconds – while a surveillance camera captured the crime.

    The San Diego Police Department (SDPD) released two surveillance videos Wednesday of the brazen armed robbery, which took place on Oct. 2 at around 1:30 p.m. at a Valero gas station located at 1025 Euclid Ave. in Emerald Hills.

    In the first video, the unknown woman can be seen exiting a white Toyota Corolla after the car pulls up near one of the gas pumps. The woman gets out of the passenger’s side and quickly runs toward the entrance of the convenience store.

    In the second video, the woman can be seen barging into the store and running behind the counter, where she grabs the clerk and points a handgun at his head. Some unintelligible chatter is heard and, in less than 20 seconds, the woman grabs cash from the register and dashes out the door.

    Police said the woman was last seen getting into the front passenger’s seat of the white Corolla waiting for her outside. The car, which drove away northbound on Euclid Ave., was described by investigators as a newer model Toyota with no license plates.

    Police described the armed robbery suspect as approximately 5-foot-5, weighing between 140 and 160 pounds. She wore a white skull mask, black hooded sweatshirt, black sweatpants and black and silver tennis shoes during the robbery.

    More than seven weeks later, the suspect remains at large. The SDPD also released photos of the suspect in hopes of identifying her.

    The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information can call SDPD's Robbery unit at (619) 531-2299 or leave an anonymous tip with Crime Stoppers online or at (888) 580-8477. Crime Stoppers is offering up to a $1,000 reward to anyone with information that leads to an arrest in this case.

    Photo Credit: San Diego Police Department
    This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

    0 0

    It’s time to give thanks — for hats, heavy coats and central heating.

    Millions of Americans in the Northeast and Middle Atlantic states will wake up to the coldest Thanksgiving in more than a century, with high winds even threatening the iconic Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, meteorologists said Wednesday.

    The mercury in Philadelphia is expected to dip to a bone-chilling 29-degree high on Thursday, with similar shivering temperatures also set for New York and Boston at 26 and 21 degrees, respectively, according to NBC meteorologist Kathryn Prociv. The coldest Thanksgiving days in those cities happened in 1901, 1871 and 1873, respectively.

    New York City is also bracing for winds between 15 mph and 25 mph on Thursday. Any sustained winds of 23 mph or gusts of 34 mph would ground the massive inflatable balloons of the parade, organizers said. The decision will be made Thursday morning whether those balloons will be in action.

    Photo Credit: Scott Olson/Getty Images

    This Jan. 2, 2018, file photo shows a person walking in Chicago, IllinoisThis Jan. 2, 2018, file photo shows a person walking in Chicago, Illinois

    0 0

    Ray Chavez, the oldest veteran survivor of the Attack on Pearl Harbor, has died, his loved ones confirmed.

    Chavez died overnight, peacefully in his sleep, his cousin told NBC 7. He was 106 years old. Until his death, the Poway resident had been the oldest living veteran survivor of Pearl Harbor.

    Last March, the veteran celebrated his 105th birthday with a solid workout at his gym. A couple days later, a big party was held for him on the flight deck aboard the USS Midway.

    At that time, Chavez told NBC 7 he had hit the gym on his birthday so he could feel like he had earned himself a piece of cake. Even at 105, he was quick-witted, charismatic and humble.

    Chavez served missions on a minesweeper and attack transport ship 77 years ago and responded to Pearl Harbor on the morning of Dec. 7, 1941.

    Over the past few years, the veteran often answered questions posed by reporters about how he had made it through such a long life so happy and healthy.

    "Obey the laws, for one thing," Chavez once said, sternly.

    He also said making friends was high on his list.

    On his last birthday, he said his wish for the coming year was this: “Whatever good comes along, I wish everybody would share it.”

    Chavez was also asked about what had been the best piece of life advice he had ever received.

    “To get as much education as you can and also to be kind to all people, especially the elderly and the less fortunate. That’s what I remember most,” he said.

    That advice came from his parents.

    Chavez recalled being called to active duty as one of the most important memories of his life.

    “War. Being in right in the middle of it,” Chavez said. “It was quite a surprise. I saw everything. Smoke and fire.”

    As the oldest living veteran of the attack, Chavez flew to Honolulu to celebrate the 75th anniversary of Pearl Harbor in December 2016. He was accompanied by his daughter, U.S. Navy veteran Kathleen Chavez, and escorted by San Diego firefighter Mitch Mendler and retired New York firefighter Joe Torillo, a survivor of the 9/11 attacks.

    In July 2015, Chavez reunited with Jim Downing, 102, in San Diego more than 74 years after they served together in the military. Together, the duo reflected on their unbreakable bond.

    On Wednesday, NBC 7 spoke with Chavez's daughter at the family's home in Poway, where they have lived since 1961. Kathleen said her father was an avid gardener who loved tending to rose bushes and trees on his property.

    She said Chavez had not wanted to reflect on his WWII experience until recently because, really, he was a bit shy. Kathleen is grateful, however, that Chavez was able to share his story in recent years.

    In her father's memory, Kathleen plans to go to Hawaii for an upcoming Pearl Harbor memorial.

    She said a date for Chavez's funeral has not yet been set.

    Photo Credit: NBC 7 San Diego

    Ray Chavez in December 2016 -- when he was 104 years old.Ray Chavez in December 2016 -- when he was 104 years old.

    0 0

    Three more alleged victims have come forward in the case of a Carlsbad modeling photographer accused of sex crimes against teenage clients during professional photo shoots, a prosecutor confirmed Wednesday.

    Robert Koester, 52, was arrested on Nov. 13 for allegedly assaulting a 16-year-old victim as she posed for him. Koester had been sub-contracted by the modeling agency, Frank, and met with the teenager on Nov. 12 to take her photos.

    During the modeling session, Koester allegedly inappropriately touched the teen. Afterward, the victim – known as “Jane Doe 1” – told her boyfriend what happened and he urged her to tell her parents. The family reported the incident to the Carlsbad Police Department (CPD) and Koester was arrested at his home on Carlsbad Boulevard the next day.

    At the home, police also found evidence of the sex crime. Koester was booked into jail on several counts, including sexual battery, possession of child pornography and sexual penetration. He posted bail and was released.

    On Wednesday, Koester -- who had originally faced six felony charges -- was arraigned and charged with 35 felony counts involving sex crimes against minors.

    Deputy District Attorney Dan Owens confirmed that three additional victims had contacted investigators alleging sexual abuse at the hands of the photographer.

    Owens said the alleged abuse happened during four separate instances between 2017 and this year, during modeling photography sessions. He said Koester had talked his victims into posing for nude photos.

    Three of his victims – including Jane Doe 1 – are 16 years old. His fourth victim is now 18, but Owens said the crime against her happened when she was only 15 years old.

    Owens said there may be more victims out there in this case and said those victims are encouraged to contact police with details – no matter how long it has been since the crime occurred.

    The deputy DA praised Jane Doe 1 for having the courage to report what happened to her and said her case led prosecutors to proceed with felony charges against Koester and seek more victims.

    “She has inspired other girls to disclose their own abuse,” he added.

    NBC 7 spoke with Jane Doe 1’s mother following Koester’s arraignment Wednesday. She did not want to be identified but did speak a bit about her daughter.

    “She’s very brave,” the mom said. “It was meant to be that she was able to have the strength to come forward and get the word out.”

    The mother said the family was “elated” – under the awful circumstances – to hear that Koester is facing 35 felony counts. She said it’s difficult, however, to learn that there are more victims in this sex crimes case.

    “We’re thankful he’s charged and that he’s going to be paying for what he’s done,” she added. “We know justice is going to be served.”

    Jane Doe 1’s mother said the victim has always dreamed of being a model and, when she went to her photo shoot with Koester, she trusted him.

    The family felt like he was a reputable professional, and Owens echoed that, saying Koester has had much success as a photographer in the modeling industry.

    The mother shared this message for other young victims of sex crimes: “Don’t trust the word of someone – you know what’s right and wrong – and what people are supposed to be doing to you. If that happens, you have to speak up immediately; nothing good will come of it if you don’t.”

    “Just because you’re dealing with an adult – someone who’s respected, wrong is wrong,” she added.

    The mom said Jane Doe 1 is coping with the help of her supportive family and friends and is trying to live a normal life. Still, the trauma of what transpired will be difficult to overcome especially because the victim’s family doesn’t want her to feel like she has to give up on her dreams of being a model.

    “We’ve got to try to find another way to build trust in the system of modeling,” the mother told NBC 7.

    Owens said Koester is also facing charges of producing child pornography for commercial purposes, importing pornography into California and possessing it.

    His bail was set at $1 million and, while he can post bond, he is not allowed to leave California and must surrender his passport. He’s could also be subjected to GPS monitoring.

    Owens said the photographer, if convicted, is likely facing between 30 to 40 years behind bars.

    Koester is from Carlton, Oregon. Carlsbad police have been working closely with the Frank modeling agency to identify any more potential victims or witnesses. There could be additional victims in Oregon, according to investigators, since Koester has a home there too.

    According to police, Koester has used the aliases "Rhake Winter" and "Bert Kay" when working with clients. The department is asking anyone with information to call police at (760) 931-3819 or email

    0 0

    The city of San Diego has made more than $3.6 million in revenue from the Cannabis Business Tax (CBT) through the first three quarters of 2018, NBC 7 has learned.

    The CBT was implemented in January after recreational marijuana use became legal.

    The CBT currently taxes recreational marijuana sales at 5 percent and it will increase to 8 percent on July 1, 2019. Any time after next July the San Diego City Council can reduce it as low as 0 percent or raise it to a maximum of 15 percent.

    Cultivators are also taxed under the CBT.

    The city of Denver, Colorado, which has had a similar tax in place since 2014, made almost $48 million in revenue last year. Denver's population is about half of San Diego’s but has substantially more cannabis retail outlets.

    Chula Vista, La Mesa, and Vista all passed a Marijuana tax in the midterm election.

    Here are the quarterly revenue numbers for the CBT:

    1st quarter (Jan. – March) - $584,107.12

    2nd quarter (April - June) - $2,185,685.67

    3rd quarter (July – Sept.) - $874,656.14

    Total: $3,644,448.93

    Revenue from the CBT goes into the city’s general fund.


    0 0

    Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev wanted to plead guilty and help the prosecution in exchange for life imprisonment, court documents unsealed Wednesday reveal.

    But prosecutors did not make a deal, and Tsarnaev was convicted at trial and sentenced to death for the 2013 bombing, which killed three people and injured hundreds.

    According to a document released Wednesday, Tsarnaev "offered to provide certain kinds of cooperation and assistance, in the course of plea negotiations."

    But the filing then says, "The government has consistently rejected Tsarnaev's conditional offers" NBC News reports.

    Photo Credit: Boston Globe via Getty Images

    An artist's sketch of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev hangs on the wall outside the Moakley courthouse for videographers to record during the Marathon bombing trial.An artist's sketch of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev hangs on the wall outside the Moakley courthouse for videographers to record during the Marathon bombing trial.

    0 0

    California may be the source of romaine lettuce blamed in an outbreak of E. coli infections that have made over 50 people sick in 11 states and Canada.

    The Food and Drug Administration came out with the new information Wednesday.

    The FDA and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention have cautioned people not to eat romaine lettuce while they investigate the outbreak.

    "My wife loves salads. We just bought a bunch of lettuce, a lot of it romaine," said Terry Cook, who lives in Clairemont. "Now she's worried about it. She doesn't want to throw it away but doesn't know what she is going to do with it." 

    It is advised that any romaine already in your fridge should be thrown out right away. Experts said you should also clean any drawers or surfaces the lettuce might have touched. 

    There are other foods as well that have recalls before Thanksgiving. 

    Ground turkey from Jennie-O resulted in a salmonella outbreak that lead to one death and 164 reported illnesses. 

    Several Duncan Hines cake mixes were taken off the shelves in early Nomember after the Classic White brand tested positive for salmonella in a sample. Classic Yellow, Confetti and Butter Gold are also recalled. 

    The U.S. Department of Agriculture said beef from the brands Swift Ground Beef and Blue Ribbon Ground Beef may be contaminated with traces of E. coli, leading to a recall. Officials made the announcement Saturday. 

    0 0

    A dangerous, early-morning confrontation between four off-duty officers and a felon -- all of them armed -- has sparked criticism from community activists who claim the police department is covering up the involved officers' misbehavior.

    The incident happened Nov. 7 in the parking lot outside McGregor’s Ale House in Grantville.

    Details about the armed face-off emerged for the first time Wednesday when community activists told local news media about a hearing in the case.

    ”This was a botched cover-up,” said Tasha Williamson, a police critic and member of the activist group Building Justice. “These officers, drinking, with weapons on them, should have called on-duty patrol officers to the scene.”

    But prosecutor Michael Runyon said evidence made public so far shows that the off-duty officers acted appropriately in responding to suspicious activity by the defendant, Jonathan Felix.

    At a news conference after today’s hearing, Runyon said the four off-duty officers noticed Felix leaving and returning several times from the parking lot, and acting as if he might steal a vehicle from the property.

    Runyon said the officers decided to “contact the defendant to figure out what was going on, and (be sure) there weren’t any issues or problems.

    “At that point, the defendant pulled out a firearm and pointed it at the (off-duty) officers," he said.

    Runyon said the officers “pulled out their firearms as well, and pointed them at the defendant. Fortunately, for all parties involved, no shots were fired.”

    The off-duty officers subdued Felix, who, according to his attorney, suffered significant neck, spinal and lung injuries in the confrontation.

    Prosecutors charged Felix, a convicted felon, with illegal possession of a weapon and ammunition. He also faces a misdemeanor drug charge.

    But Felix’s lawyer disputes the prosecution’s version of events, and claims the criminal charges against her client are designed to cover-up serious wrongdoing by the four off-duty officers.

    "They were rowdy, they were drunk," said attorney Alicia Freeze, who said the off-duty officers had been drinking at McGregor’s.

    Freeze insists her client did nothing wrong and gave officers no reason to question him.

    "If there was something amiss and these officers thought there was something wrong, or thought they were in danger, why didn't they call an on-duty officer?” Freeze asked.

    “Why they approached my client in the parking lot, armed, without calling for backup, is a mystery. He felt threatened, and totally alone, with four drunk, large men coming at him.”

    Freeze said her client never pointed his weapon at the officers, though she wouldn’t comment on why he had the handgun with him.

    Freeze and attorney Doug Gilliland, who is contemplating filing a civil lawsuit against the city of San Diego on Felix’s behalf, said the police report on the incident and surveillance video of the parking lot that night might provide answers about what actually happened.

    The defense attorneys received some evidence in the case Wednesday from the District Attorney’s office and will review it soon.

    Meanwhile, Tasha Williamson, the community activist, is demanding answers and information from the department. She said Chief David Nisleit should release the names of the off-duty officers, reveal their current status with the department, and provide a public accounting of what happened in that early-morning confrontation.

    “We want San Diego Police to own this issue, and to act on it, now,” Williamson said.

    NBC 7 asked San Diego police about their policy on off-duty officers, when they carry weapons, and any restrictions on drinking when armed.

    The department did not respond to the questions or provide any information about the incident or the status of the officers involved.

    0 0

    Countless deployed military personnel, first responders and others who protect and serve our country won’t get to celebrate Thanksgiving with family, which gives the United States National Guard 79th Infantry Brigade Combat Team all the more reason to cherish their Wednesday homecoming.

    About 100 troops in the brigade got to see smiling faces of family members and loved ones that they haven’t seen for nine months. They returned from deployment in Kosovo right in time for the big holiday.

    “To be honest, in these past two years, we've spent less than two weeks together so it's been a really long time,” Marcela Maza said about her brother Carlos.

    At first, Carlos’ family wasn't sure about him joining the USNG right out of high school. But as they waited for him to break formation at the National Guard’s Kearny Mesa armory so they could wrap him in their arms, they only felt pride and love.

    “It feels great. It's been a while and I miss my family, miss my friends and I'm just happy to be back,” Carlos said.

    What’s the first thing Carlos wants to do?

    “Eat some good food!”

    The Maza's were just one of the many families gathered in the armory waiting to get a hold of their brother, sister, father, mother, or significant other.

    The buses arrived just before noon. Our soldiers put down their bags and filed into the armory to salute the flag one more time before racing to the embrace of the people they missed most.

    “To the soldiers, mission accomplished, outstanding job, you helped keep the peace in the Balkans in a land that's been scarred by violence for many years,” USNG Colonel Nick Ducich told his soldiers.

    Col. Ducich reminded the brigade that though they are home, they will still be standing at the ready as their brothers and sisters who are still deployed, some fighting deadly wildfires in their own state, spend time away from their families.

    0 0

    A formerly homeless mother who fought to escape the grips of domestic violence and to get her family off the streets and into an apartment couldn’t believe her eyes Wednesday when her once-bare living space all the sudden had all the furniture she needed inside.

    Emmy Medellin and her two children were homeless for seven months before finally landing in an apartment in San Ysidro. Though they had a roof over their head, they were sleeping on the floor and doing homework in the dark.

    Luckily for them, Humble Design came to the rescue.

    Humble Design is a non-profit that gathers donated furniture and furnishes the homes of once-homeless families who need a little bit of help.

    Within three hours, a parade of volunteers moved beds, desks, tables and chairs into the Medellin’s second-story apartment and made it feel like a home.

    Humble Design co-founder Treger Strasberg was happy to help the Medellins, who she called a lovely family. With the help of her volunteer interior designer, Amber Courtney, they worked a miracle in one afternoon.

    “To be able to make somebody else’s life better, it's worth it. Job done,” Courtney said.

    “The family coming home and seeing their whole life change in one afternoon is the reason I keep doing this. It's such a wonderful feeling,” Strasberg said.

    When it came time for the home re-reveal, tears of joy took over Emmy and her kids’ faces.

    “Oh my god! Thank you so much! My god!” Emmy exclaimed when the door to her transformed abode was opened.

    Her daughter could hardly contain herself when she entered her furnished room for the first time. Soon the family stopped searching for words to say and just hugged each other.

    ‘This is emotionally amazing for me. It's something like a miracle for me, for my kids,” Emmy said.

    Now it's all theirs. A family, safe, together, at home.

    0 0

    A series of burglaries and attempts in Vista have San Diego Sheriff’s Department investigators on the lookout for a suspect who was caught on surveillance cameras in several places.

    The man’s identity is still a mystery, which has led Crime Stoppers to offer a $1,000 reward for information leading to his capture.

    Sheriff's investigators say between Oct. 25 and Nov. 20, the man broke into or tried to break into five Vista businesses, each within a few miles of each other. They say the locations the suspect targets and the things he steals seem random.

    He was spotted at the Tiki Mobile Home Park on Olive Avenue twice. In his first visit, he was seen on camera trying to break into the office through a restroom window. On the second visit he forced open a utility room door then stole a wood-carved tiki stump. It's worth about 60 dollars.

    "I haven't seen him here,” resident Kyle McNabb said. “I meet a lot of people everybody is friendly here all the tenants and I've never seen him here."

    He’s also suspected of taking cash and an i-Pod Touch from the Tabacinic Chabad Jewish Center.

    Three days later, while the business was still open, he broke into the soda machines at a trampoline amusement Park called Get Air and got away with $500.

    Deputies say he returned Nov. 5 – this time with a mask -- and damaged the front doors trying to get into Get Air and Wholesale Sports which are in the same building. He cut Wi-Fi and security camera power lines.

    His last stop, according to deputies, was Tuesday at the Maximum Recycling Center where he stole $1,175 in pocket change.

    It's been 24 hours since the last time he was seen on a security camera. In all, Sheriff's Investigators estimate the thief stole $1,500 in cash and another $400 in merchandise, which is less than what it will cost the victimized businesses to repair the damaged caused by the break-ins.

    The thief is described as approximately 5 feet 8 to 5 feet 11 inches tall with a thin build. He has a distinct tattoo on his left forearm and he usually wears glasses and a flat billed ball cap.

    No other information was available.

    Please refresh this page for updates on this story. Details may change as more information becomes available.

    0 0

    Volunteers spent Wednesday night prepping all the fixings for a big Thanksgiving feast for North County veterans, but for one volunteer it’s about more than just providing food.

    His name is Scott Spiering. He’s a two-time Purple Heart recipient who remembers a time when Americans like himself weren’t celebrated.

    “We walked into a Vietcong trap in the morning and it managed to take out quite a few of the people that were with me. I got a few shots to the leg,” Spiering said.

    Spiering said he’s giving his time to make sure homeless, retired and active-duty vets coming to the North County Thanksgiving Feast get their bellies filled while surrounded by good company.

    “When I came back from Vietnam, we weren't very much appreciated,” he said. “To see the outpour for veterans today is heartwarming.”

    Spiering said the volunteer effort is what America is all about.

    “You know George H.W. Bush talked about a thousand points of light. Now I know what that means -- all these great volunteers,” he said.

    Inspired by the kindness he sees among his fellow volunteers, Spiering hopes veterans walk away from the table Thursday knowing their compatriots care.

    Homeless Veterans of San Diego founder Kelly Luisi told NBC 7 she started putting on the holiday dinner last year. Her involvement with veterans is motivated by the loss of her brother who was killed by an IED during his second tour in Iraq.

    Her organization spared no details for the special meal. Centerpieces, linen, sides both sweet and savory, and the most important component of all -- Love.

    After hours of work, deserving veterans will be served at 11:30 a.m. Veterans looking for a table to sit at on Thanksgiving can RSVP through the Homeless Veterans of San Diego’s Facebook page

    Luisi says Homeless Veterans of San Diego has been able to take more than 40 veterans off the streets in the past year. They offer help to veterans across San Diego County.

    0 0

    Police arrested a man at an Atlanta airport Wednesday after he allegedly went on an anti-Semitic rant on an evening flight, NBC News reported

    The suspect was seen on a cellphone video struggling with three officers at the Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport and yelling, "I'm not doing anything!" and "White guy with blue eyes and he was just like Trump — he's a Nazi!"

    David Toaf of Washington, D.C., was arrested at 7:57 p.m. local time on suspicion of disorderly conduct and obstructing or hindering an officer, according to police and inmate records. NBC News affiliate WXIA reported that the flight began in Washington.

    "Preliminary information indicates that while in flight to Atlanta a male began uttering anti-Semitic words to passengers aboard the aircraft," Atlanta police said in their statement. "When the flight arrived at the gate the male continued the disturbance and refused to provide officers with identification."

    Photo Credit: Getty Images/Cultura RF

    A man was arrested Wednesday at an Atlanta airport after he allegedly went on an anti-Semitic rant on an evening flight, police said.A man was arrested Wednesday at an Atlanta airport after he allegedly went on an anti-Semitic rant on an evening flight, police said.

    0 0

    Crews worked overnight to curtail a stream of water from a broken water main that flooded a street outside Naval Base San Diego Thursday.

    The main break happened near the intersection of Norman Scott Road and 32nd Street, just outside the Navy base's main entrance and Autoport gas station, at about 2 a.m. 

    Water bubbled up through the pavement until the street outside the gas station began to look like a small lake.

    City of San Diego crews were called and able to stop the water from flowing.

    Once the flooding receded, the pavement could be seen sinking in. Traffic was halted on 32nd Street until they could get the roadway could be fixed, crews said. 

    By 7 a.m., the road leading into Naval Base San Diego was reopened but northbound lanes leading out of the base and onto Interstate 15 remained closed. 

    It was determined that the water main that ruptured was likely a Navy line, so military officials would be taking over repairs.

    It is unclear if the main break left anyone without water. 

    No other information was available.

    Please refresh this page for updates on this story. Details may change as more information becomes available.

    0 0

    Thanksgiving was off to a soggy start for San Diegans as a weak storm system brought overnight showers to Southern California. 

    The storm system brought spotty showers to Carlsbad and Oceanside around midnight before making its way east, where it would taper off around 10 a.m., according to NBC 7 Meteorologist Sheena Parveen. 

    "As we go through the rest of the morning, we’ll see a few more light showers pass through -- nothing very heavy and most of your Thanksgiving will be breezy and chilly," Parveen said. 

    By 4 a.m., storm clouds had dumped more than a quarter-inch of rain on Encinitas and more than a tenth-inch of rain on San Marcos, Escondido, Palomar Mountain and parts of Chula Vista, the National Weather Service said.

    Other areas seeing consistent precipitation were Del Mar, Carlsbad, La Jolla, Vista, La Mesa and Fallbrook.

    Parts of central San Diego and the East County were seeing sprinkles but significant rainfall did not develop by 4 a.m., according to the NWS. 

    The light spotty showers were making roadways slick Thursday morning.

    "This is light rain but it's enough to make the roads a little slippery in some spots," Parveen said. 

    Showers are expected to linger until the afternoon when clouds would partially dissipate but cool and breezy conditions would remain. Light, spotty showers are possible through Saturday. 

    If enough showers develop in the mountains, snow is possible at elevations above 6,500 feet but it was unlikely to occur during this storm system, NWS said. 

    The storm system isn't strong enough to even come close to San Diego's wettest Thanksgiving record, which was set in 2008 with a total of 1.26 inches of rain, according to NWS. 

    This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

    NBC 7's First Alert Doppler 7 radar captured spotty showers at 4 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day. Meteorologist Sheena Parveen said showers should taper by 10 a.m.NBC 7's First Alert Doppler 7 radar captured spotty showers at 4 a.m. on Thanksgiving Day. Meteorologist Sheena Parveen said showers should taper by 10 a.m.

    0 0

    A U.S. Customs and Border Protection drill could cause delays for travelers crossing the San Ysidro Port of Entry on Thanksgiving.

    During the training, which was scheduled to begin at 2 p.m. and last about 10 minutes, "large-scale operational readiness exercises" will be visible by drivers. Delays would be minimal but travelers should be prepared, the agency said. 

    CBP would not confirm or deny if the exercise was part of preparations in anticipation of thousands of Central American migrants currently in Tijuana, Mexico awaiting a chance to seek asylum from the United States. 

    "The main objective of the exercise is to evaluate CBP readiness to secure a port of entry in case of any large crowd contingency," a CBP spokesperson said in a written statement to NBC 7. 

    The military will not be involved in this training mission, CBP said. 

    This is a developing story and will be updated as information becomes available. 

    Concertina wire is wrapped around the fence at the San Ysidro Port of Entry while a line of cars wait to enter the United States. Nov. 2018. File.Concertina wire is wrapped around the fence at the San Ysidro Port of Entry while a line of cars wait to enter the United States. Nov. 2018. File.

older | 1 | .... | 2605 | 2606 | (Page 2607) | 2608 | 2609 | .... | 2634 | newer